The Banana Split Smoothie tastes as good as it looks!
Can you say, “YUMMY”? This Banana Split Smoothie is by far one of the best smoothies I have ever had, and no added sugar. Brody and I were talking about making a traditional Banana Split YouTube video, and he was super excited about it. He was relentless about who was going to be in the video with him. And when, when, when? Although we make fun treats with sugar, I don’t always like the big added sugar desserts. Since Brody has been really enjoying making the smoothies, I thought Banana Split Smoothie would be a lot of fun. Well….I am so glad I did!! This is one of the best smoothies we’ve made. We used a little Stevia to sweeten the chocolate layer, and the banana and strawberry layer are naturally sweetened by the fruit. (If the strawberries aren’t sweet, then add a little Stevia to sweeten it up.)
Brody and I were discussing what goes into a Banana Split Smoothie, and it triggered a great memory for me from my childhood. Do you remember Farrell’s Ice Cream Parlor? It recently popped back up on the show The Profit. Well, I loooooved going to this place for my birthday parties growing up. Brody and I talked about it, and laughed as I told him stories about my time spent stuffing my mouth with banana splits. Lol. I was celebrating my 10th birthday, and they gave out an award ribbon that said I made a pig of myself at Farrell’s, but you would only receive the ribbon if you finished the WHOLE Banana Split. And it was HUGE!!! I tried, but I couldn’t do it. I wanted that prize sooo bad, so I did a very sneaky thing. I ate it all except for the strawberry ice cream. Which, unfortunately fell onto a napkin on my lap, so I had to throw it away. Oops!!!I did get the ribbon. It’s so funny I can remember that experience like yesterday.
The Banana Split Smoothie is a healthy spin off of the traditional Banana Split using just 2-3 ingredients for each layer. This does take a little time since you have to make each layer separately. I promise it will be so worth it, and kids and adults will be impressed.
Click on images above to view larger.
Using ice cube trays is a great way to freeze the yogurt. The whole tray holds 2 cups, so this is helpful to count them out when using. Blending this up tastes just like frozen yogurt, just add your favorite flavor . We experimented with different flavored milks, and we chose to use regular milk. We found that regular milk tasted the best for the strawberry layer. Try your favorite, and experiment which tastes best for you.
There’s only 6 ingredients to make this layered smoothie, pretty basic. No need to add any sugar, the fruit gives this a sweet fruity taste. The added sugar is in the toppings, so add whatever you would like, or none at all. We did add the sprinkles, they’re so much fun!
These are the 6 ingredients:
- frozen plain Greek yogurt
- frozen bananas
- frozen strawberries
- milk, or milk alternative (almond, macadamia, soy, etc.)
- cocoa powder
- Stevia (sugar substitute)
This was a challenge for Brody, but he was so proud of himself and made a huge mess.
He made a real fun mess of the smoothie, but he loves to eat what he makes. 🙂 I think he really enjoys the process more when he can get messy, and get a little wild with his creation. Also, Brody thought it would look cool to combine chocolate and the colored sprinkles together, and he was right. I love it!! Try one of our other delicious smoothie recipes.
Follow the recipe below for the full step by step process. Let us know if you make it by leaving a comment below.
Banana Split Smoothie
- 1 cup plain frozen Greek yogurt (frozen in ice trays)
- 1/4 cup milk (or milk alternative, add more if needed)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons Stevia
- 2 large frozen bananas (cut into slices, and frozen in ziplock bag)
- 1/4 cup milk (or milk alternative)
- 1 16 ounce frozen strawberries (frozen bag)
- 1/2 cup milk (or milk alternative)
- 2 tablespoons whipped cream store bought, or homemade
- 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup
- 1 tablespoon walnuts
- 1 teaspoon colored sprinkles
- Start with the chocolate layer first since this will go on the bottom. Add the frozen yogurt, milk, cocoa powder, and Stevia to you blender. Starting on low, and increase the speed to high. You may need to stop the blender a couple times to scrape down the sides. The consistency will be thick, and you can add more milk to the thickness you will like.
- Pour into glasses, and put into freezer while making the next layer. Rinse out the blender for the next/ banana layer.
- Add the bananas and milk to the blender. Start the blender on low, and increasing to high. You will also need to stop the blender and scrape down the sides. Keep blending until smooth and creamy and all lumps are gone.
- Pour into glasses over the chocolate layer, and put back into freezer. Rinse out the blender for the next/ strawberry layer.
- Add the strawberries and milk to the blender. Start the blender on low, and increasing to high. Again, you will need to stop the blender and scrape down the sides. Keep blending until smooth and creamy and all lumps are gone.
- Pour into glasses over the Banana layer.
- Swirl the whipped cream onto the top. Then add the chocolate syrup, sprinkles, chopped walnuts, or your favorite toppings.