The Best 3 Bean Chili Lunchbox, kids love!
The Best 3 Bean Chili Lunchbox is one of those lunches that the kids can’t get enough of. They always each their whole lunch when they get chili. I find this one of the easiest recipes to make. It may look like a lot of ingredients, but so easy to grab and throw in the pot. I always make extra, because I will freeze it for an extra dinner or lunches for the kids.
This recipe is one that you can plan out as part of a lunch prep schedule. Put into 4- 6 containers, depending on how much you have left form dinner. Then, date them, freeze them, and the night before you want to use it set it into the refrigerator. It will be ready to heat up in for their afternoon lunch. I recommend this with soups as well.
I included this cute little chicken squishy, because he is so cute and he matched the lunchbox. Completely unplanned! I quickly took notice of him when my son was holding him. Not sure about your kids, but mine are so into squishy’s right now. I think he makes the picture. 🙂
Best 3 Bean Chili Lunchbox
Beans are a great source of protein, and other healthy benefits. I like to give the kids a break from animal protein by adding more plant based foods into their diet. With such a huge variety, it’s fun to create new recipes.
What’s your favorite recipe to make with beans? Leave us a comment below, we would love to hear from you!
Check out our other yummy lunch ideas.
Best 3 Bean Chili Recipe
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced onions
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes (I use fire roasted tomatoes, so if your market has it then use it)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed (rinse separately, this will be added in the last 10 minutes of cooking)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons green chilis (in a 4oz can)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt (add more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder (add more for a spicier chili)
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
FOR THE TOP
- shredded cheese
- plain Greek yogurt, or sour cream
- chopped parsley (as garnish)
- Open the canned ingredients, and set aside. Rinse the black beans, and kidney beans together through a strainer. Rinse the pinto beans separately, as they will get too soft if you cook them the same amount of time.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat add the diced onion, and saute for about 5 minutes. Then add the minced garlic for another 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, black beans, kidney beans, frozen corn, water, and diced green chili's into the pot.
- Next, add the garlic salt, cumin, chili powder, chipotle, and black pepper.
- Slowly stir all the ingredients together until well mixed, cover, and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add the pinto beans, and simmer an additional 10 minutes
- Remove from heat, and serve in bowls topped with shredded cheese, plain Greek yogurt, or sour cream.