Strawberry Banana Smoothie Bowl
This Strawberry Banana Smoothie Bowl is simple, yet packed with protein. Smoothies, and smoothie bowls are popular no matter what time of year. I love making them for the kids, because I can create a nutritious breakfast or anytime snack. The best part, no added sugar or sweeteners. This one is sweetened naturally from the fruit of strawberries, bananas, and kiwi’s.
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IN THIS SMOOTHIE BOWL?
Although we used very simple ingredients for this beautiful smoothie bowl, we wanted it to be rich in protein. To maximize the health benefits, we added Greek yogurt, chia seeds, and milk for extra protein and fiber, and the yummy fruit.
This has become one of the kids favorites, because they feel like they’re getting a bowl of ice cream.
- plain greek yogurt
- chia seeds
- kiwi (garnish only)
HOW TO MAKE THE PERFECT STRAWBERRY BANANA SMOOTHIE BOWL?
To make the perfect smoothie bowl, start with freezing the ingredients. This will give you a thicker, creamier, and more flavorful smoothie. I always use frozen fruit, and yogurt over adding ice cubes.
There’s something magical about frozen bananas. Try an experiment making a smoothie with non-frozen bananas, and another smoothie using frozen bananas. You will be amazed at the difference in consistency and taste.
IN YOUR BLENDER
- First add the liquid, and hemp seeds
- Next, add the frozen fruit and yogurt.
- Blend on high until thick, and well blended. If too thick, add more liquid until desired consistency. Make sure not to add too much, or you will get a smoothie instead of a thick smoothie bowl.
Tip: Always add frozen ingredients to the top. This will blend the ingredients on the bottom first, pulling down the frozen ingredients a little at a time making it easier on the blender.
WHAT ARE CHIA SEEDS?
Chia seeds are oval and gray with black and white spots, and are the edible seed of Salvia hispanica. This flowering plant is native to Central America, and it is considered part of the mint family. If you’ve eaten them, they definitely don’t taste like mint. In my opinion they’re a bit bland in flavor with a crunchy texture.
Chia seeds are known as an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acid, fiber, protein, and minerals including iron, calcium, magnesium and zinc.
Wikipedia has the full description and history of the Chia Seeds.
HOW DO I GET THE THICK ICE CREAM CONSISTENCY?
We add all frozen ingredients. We freeze the Greek yogurt in ice cube trays, then we break them into smaller pieces with a kitchen mallet before adding to the blender. Also, we use frozen strawberries and frozen sliced bananas.
SHOUL I USE ICE IN THE SMOOTHIE?
Instead of using ice for smoothie bowls or smoothies, try freezing your favorite beverage in ice trays. (coconut, almond, soy, or regular milk) This will keep it nice and thick, and tasting great.
DO YOU ADD ANY LIQUIDS TO THIS?
Yes, don’t add too much liquid or your smoothie will end up like a smoothie. Start with only about 1/4 cup of any liquid of your choice, and add more as needed. Be patient, and scrape down the sides of the blender so all the ingredients are blended.
WILL IT TASTE GOOD IF I ADD VEGGIES?
Yes, this happens to be one of my favorite things to add to the smoothie, or bowls. I call them the sneaky greens. This is one place where you can sneak them in for added nutritional value, and the kids will never know.
There’s a vast variety of vegetables you can add, and they will still taste great. Click here for more veggie options to add to your smoothies, and smoothie bowls.
MORE SMOOTHIE BOWL RECIPES FROM BUSY LITTLE CHEFS
Strawberry Banana Smoothie Bowl
- 1 12 ounce bag frozen strawberries
- 2 small frozen bananas
- 1/2 cup frozen plain Greek yogurt (crushed cubes)
- 2 tablespoons Chia seeds
- 1/4-1/2 cup milk (or favorite milk alternative, soy, almond, hemp, oat, etc)
- 1/2 small sliced bananas
- 2-3 sliced strawberries
- 1 sliced kiwi
- Since we freeze the Greek yogurt in Ice cube trays, we break them down before adding top the blender. Place the yogurt cubes in a plastic baggie, and hit them a few times with a mallet to break them into smaller pieces.
- Add all the ingredients into the blender.Start on medium and increase until its blending on high. This can take 3-5 minutes depending on your blender.
- Scrape down the sides, and add more liquid if needed. Be patient, and don't add too much or it will become a smoothie consistency.
- Once all blended , and all lumps are blended. Spoon into bowls, and add your favorite toppings. We added sliced bananas, strawberries, and kiwi. (going for the holiday color scheme) Then sprinkles the top with Chia seeds.
Share the ❤️on Pinterest!
You are AMAZING! Thank you thank you thank you so much for this. I was considering doing the same thing and you’ve just made the task a lot less daunting.
Great, hope you love the recipe!❤️