Caramel Apple Dumplings
Each recipe will make 2 apples, 4 servings. (apples divided into halves) You can buy puff pastry (sizes can vary) in the frozen section of the supermarket.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 1/2 Golden Delicious apples (cored, and the 1/2 apple is for the chopped apple pieces)
- 2 frozen-puff pastry sheets (cut into 9-by-6 inch piece)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons chopped apple pieces
- 2 tablespoons pecans or walnuts
- 1 egg white beaten (egg wash = beaten egg add a splash of water)
- 2 teaspoons raw sugar
- all purpose flour for dusting so the puff pastry doesn't stick to work surface
- vanilla ice cream
- whipped cream
- caramel sauce
- fall sprinkles (optional)
Heat oven to 375°
In a small bowl combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, and the pecans, and apple pieces.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out the puff-pastry sheets, measure 9-by-6-inch piece, and cut with pastry wheel or knife.
Place the cored apple onto the middle of the puff-pastry, and spoon the brown sugar mixture into the center of the cored apple.
Lightly brush the beaten egg 1" around the edge of the puff pastry. Then gather the corners and pull up to the center, and twist or fold at the top to seal the apple. You can cut any excess off the top with scissors.
Put them into a baking dish, but first chill the dumplings for 15-20 minutes. Then brush the apple with the beaten egg (this will give it a shiny golden brown finish), and sprinkle the raw sugar on the top.
Bake the dumplings 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown. (cooking times can vary) Cut into halves, and place into bowl. Add vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, drizzle caramel syrup, and a few sprinkles for some color. :-)
If you cut the puff pastry, then you can use the extra pieces to make leaf cut outs to put on the apples. Brush with the egg wash, and lightly press them onto the apple wrapped in the puff pastry, and then brush the leaf with the egg wash.