Chicken Sausage Soup is a great healthy dinner idea!
I love making this Chicken Sausage Soup with white bean, kale, and other veggies. It’s hearty, healthy, and tastes delicious. I usually make a big pot of it, but it doesn’t last. Between the kids, and the hubby, (3 boys) they finish the whole pot.
This is the kind of soup that is fun to change up the ingredients. For instance, add lots of different types of veggies, kale or spinach, rice or beans. The ideas can be limitless, and great to explore new veggies with the kids. Let them pick out a few different types to try. I always say if they’re more involved, they’re more likely to eat it.
The vegetables we used in this soup are listed below. I’ve had mom’s say, “my daughter would never eat garlic or parsley”. These add flavor to the soup. There’s not huge pieces that they will be eating. Adding these types of flavors to foods actually trains their taste buds, and gets them use to the tastes. My kids didn’t like them at first, and they would take them out of the food (like the onions). But, I just kept adding them, and now they’re so use to it they just eat it. Also, I never made them eat the veggies if they were really opposed them. Although, I would ask them to take just 2 teensy weensy bites, and they could be done. And this set them up for being future veggie eaters.
- multi colored carrots
Click on images below to view larger.
Chicken Sausage Soup
We would happily eat eat soup year round. I find these is the best way to get all kinds of great ingredients in one bowl. This soup is comfort food at it’s finest for us. Give it a try, and let us know what you think by leaving us a comment below.
If you like comfort food, then you’ll love our 3 Bean Chili.
Chicken Sausage Soup
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups multi colored carrots (small dice, 1/4")
- 1/2 cup brown onion (small dice, 1/4")
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon parsley (finely chopped)
- 1 pound sweet Italian chicken sausage (I used 1 pound for a hearty soup, but add less if you want more veggies and soupy)
- 4 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
- 15 ounce can cannellini beans (strained and rinsed)
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- 1 handful kale (husks removed, and torn into small pieces)
- Prepare, and measure all your ingredients and set aside. Heat a large pot on medium heat for about 2 minutes, then add the olive oil and heat for 2 minutes.
- Next add the carrots to the heated pot with olive oil for 3-4minutes, then add the onions, garlic, and parsley for an additional 2-3 minutes. Stir them to cook them evenly. You want the veggies to soften, but not brown.
- Add the chicken sausage to the pot to cook. Let the meat brown, then stir so it cooks thoroughly.
- Add the chicken broth, cannellini beans, salt and pepper to the pot. Turn the heat down to low, and let simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Place the kale into the pot, and let simmer an additional 5 minutes. When the kale turns bright green, and has softened, the soup is done.
- Turn off heat, and soup is ready to serve.
Leave a Reply
We would love to hear from you!